AHA 22 – Dr Jonathan Piccini (Duke University Medical Center, Durham, US) joins us to discuss the findings of the NOVA Phase II trial (NCT03779841).
NOVA Phase II is a multicenter, randomized, dose-ranging study that aims to find the efficacy and safety of botulinum toxin type A (AGN-151607) (AbbVie) in preventing post-operative atrial fibrillation (POAF) in patients undergoing open-chest cardiac surgery.
The study showed that of botulinum toxin type A (AGN-151607) in patients undergoing cardiac surgery does not seem to reduce the rate of postoperative atrial fibrillation overall.
1. What is the reasoning behind this trial?
2. What is the mechanism of action of botulinium Type A?
3. What was the study design and patient population?
4. What are the key results?
5. What are your take-home messages for clinicians?
6. What further research is needed?
Recorded remotely from Durham, 2022.
Interviewer: Jordan Rance, Mirjam Boros
Video Specialist: Tom Green